Sunday, April 15, 2007

No More Worlds To Conquer

I read this mini-profile of Payton Jordan at the San Francisco Airport, en route from Singapore to Washington, DC. His story stirred me from my sleep-deprived state, and his life is one window into:
  • America's competitive spirit — a national strength
  • The incomparable sense of possibilities — one compelling reason why I admire my host-country of 10-plus years
He coached track and field at Stanford from 1957 through 1979, his athletes winning six individual NCAA titles and setting five world records. He was the head coach of the 1968 U.S. Olympic team that won a record 24 medals, including 12 Golds, and established six world records. He was also the director of the historic U.S. vs. U.S.S.R. meet at Stanford Stadium in 1962.

Then, when well past 50, he resurrected his own career as a champion sprinter, setting "Masters" world records in the 100 meters for every age group from 55 through 80. He finally retired at age 81 with no more worlds to conquer.

Inducted into the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.


April 19 Update:

Important to remember the best of America and men like Payton Jordan, amid the carnage, grief and questions surrounding Virginia Tech. The students rallied together overnight and showed amazing spirit.

2 comments:

Tyson said...

Hi! I missed a relatively flurry of activity over at Marvellous Light! I've been missing deadlines at work for the past couple weeks and didn't think it right to spend time blogging. But I am so glad you've written some nice thoughts.

Are you planning to attend church camp in Seattle? I think Ps Lao has a fascinating topic in store.

The wife will be in Malaysia though, visiting her family with Cora.

God bless!

Amy said...

Hi! I've also added some links. Love blogging, tho my pace must look glacial in the blogosphere! It's fine, I'll be focused. : )

I'd love to visit Seattle and hopefully it'll be camp time. My mind drifts easily to Seattle and all of you there!