Saturday, May 19, 2007

Jamaica II: Sunglasses

My lost sunglasses travelled back to me.

I'd left them in the tour van on our last afternoon in Jamaica. A few hours later, we were walking through a crowded, boisterous part of Montego Bay city when a tall smiling man stepped up.

"I'm your driver!" he announced. It was our tour van driver Errol, just then moonlighting as a cabbie.

"Errol! Hi! Did you see my sunglasses?" I asked.

"They're yours?'' he asked, surprised.

And that's how we landed in his cab -- a safe haven after the manic hustling cabbies we kept encountering -- and picked up my sunglasses from his boss' house, before returning to our hotel.

Sue was intrigued, and definitely me too. I'd sensed God's timing at work two days earlier, when our new Jamaican friend Pauline literally opened the door to our tour possibilities on a Sunday afternoon when the tour agencies were closed.

Surprising Pauline at her workplace two days later, we invited her for dinner. She found us a local place and later told us that she didn't have money for lunch that day. She knew it was God's provision when we asked her out.

The sunglasses, the tours that Pauline made possible, and her unexpected dinner -- God displayed His beautiful timing three times, not simply once. It was a generous assurance that His timing is perfect and He is all sovereign. It amazes and comforts me, particularly at this moment just before my big move to Singapore.

2 comments:

Tyson said...

Wow, Amy! This sounds like a wonderful trip! Peishih just told me you will probably move back to Singapore. I'm glad that God is putting things together for you.

God bless!

Amy said...

Thanks, TS! It's liberating and cool to see more of the path ahead and start making the big move. God has amazingly given me the gift of two homes -- the US and Singapore!