Thursday, May 24, 2007

My Books


I'm 50 pages into "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and it's a mesmerizing journey. Azar Nafisi's memoir is such a celebration of the power of the literary imagination in fundamentalist Iran.

Like many readers, I surround myself with books that pool luxuriously here and there, and these days I'm actually reading!

Recent gifts from friends and choices from my happy browsing include:

Common Sense 101: Lessons from G.K. Chesterton - Dale Ahlquist (Wonder-stirring)

100 Year Bloom: Your Keys to Living in Permanent Revival - Mahesh & Bonnie Chavda (My Singapore friend suggested that I visit their ministry in NC. I checked and saw that they were headed to the DC region for three days! Powerful time.)

My Life - Bill Clinton (Hey, only 25 cents from a yard sale!)

The Etiquette of English Tea - Beryl Peters

Neu Me Thich (If You Like, Mom) - Trangdai Tranguyen (Luminous reflections on parental love, the immigrant experience and more)

I won't be shipping much stuff home. But books are friends, so they'll go with me.

No comments: