Saturday, June 09, 2007

Lebanese Baptism

My Lebanese colleague Nada asked me to be her godmother at her baptism! I'd prayed for her since we met in 2004 so it's such a joy to see bright-spirited Nada begin a divine journey... even if she doesn't fully realize it's a new road.

She was baptized today at the light-filled Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Church in Washington. The baptismal bowl was egg-shaped and it was set in an "eggshell" baptistery -- symbols of new life.

The priest decided I couldn't be a godmother after all as I'm not Catholic, but I could be a witness along with Nada's fiance and a Sicilian friend (a doctor who helped tend to the pope when he was shot). The priest was kind and thoughtful in demystifying and personalizing some of the ancient rituals, which must be so different for Nada, who grew up as a Druze.

Washington is an international city. It's a big highlight of my life here to be friends with people from all nations, and sometimes to worship with them... Including many Chinese, Thais, Koreans, Japanese, Vietnamese and other Asians, Ghanans and other Africans, Latinos, Europeans especially from the former Eastern bloc, Americans...

It's a glimpse of what Heaven will be like. And certainly it's Heaven on earth just because eternity begins on this side!

Revelation 7:9: After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb...

No comments: